Sunday, December 11, 2016

DPP2016 Day 10 - Yesterday. . .

So the song title is chosen because I am writing this on the 11th!  I am so far behind.  I had charts still to finish last night so I wasn't able to get to these pictures.  Now, here it is the night of the 11th and I am just getting to the pictures. 

Today was full of basketball, as our Saturdays often are.  Since I was able to snag some pictures of E last weekend, this weekend we tried to get some of the boys. But first, we were able to start off a little slowly.  The boys enjoying a game of Monopoly, again.  What is funny is that they haven't played much Monopoly over the course of a year but last year at this time they played it a lot too.  Must be something about the holiday season that puts them into to the mood for being real estate moguls.  I love this picture because K is so cleverly playing with toys that the boys would probably yank away if they noticed.  But she is hiding in plain sight, using her coat and her body to give her every advantage.  It worked too.  She grew tired of playing long before they realized she had been playing.  4th kids have to be clever. 
E woke up early in the morning feeling badly.  She was the start of the strep bug and is still on antibiotics so this created a bit of a panic about what was coming next.  It is stomach flu season after all.  Fortunately, it passed uneventfully and she was begging for friends and going places by 10am.  Part of me wondered if she thought it was a school day and began to feel better when she realized it was a Saturday.  It wouldn't be out of the possibility for her.  Reminds me of a certain Peggy Ann McKay from a Shel Silverstein poem.



Daddy had to take both cars for gas this morning.  I like to tease him and call it the gas fairy.  I am so cared for and spoiled that I have been known to completely ignore my gas gauge.  The gas fairy just always seems to know when to come and I only have to put gas in the car once or twice every couple of months.  I'd like to say that this embarrasses me or to apologize for this indulgence.  But I can't.  I love it. . . .especially in the winter!  Sooooooo spoiled.

But so are the kiddos.  This little lady knows to get dressed and get her shoes on quickly when Daddy is headed to the gas station.  The kids are allowed $1 to spend at the gas station if they come with him.  Chocolate in one hand, ring pop in the other.   She looks pretty pleased with herself.


B is ready for basketball - coat and all.  But thought he would take a few moments of screen time before it was time to leave.  In this picture, he can't seem to decide which screen he would like to look at.  E was watching a movie on the TV and he was playing a game.  It was clearly a struggle to know where to put his attention.





Here are a few shots from the boys games.

 He uses his whole body when he plays basketball.  He is small but mighty.  He is fast and can stay really low to the ground while dribbling.  It comes in really handy because he just walks right through the defense because no matter what they try it results in a foul.  He made a couple baskets today which was where he chose to put his focus.  Always looking for the bright side.  His team didn't win today.  But every time he was in the game, the team closed the gap.  This was great for his confidence because his coach doesn't give him as much play time when they are behind.  I didn't notice at first but he did.  The difference in playing time isn't major so I wouldn't get involved anyway but he was explicit in saying he wants to handle it on his own.  For that, I am very proud.  He wants to prove to his coach that he can do it.  He wants to use hard work and preparation to find his way to being the kind of player he wants to utilize.  The kid has grit.
For me, that is going to be a far more valuable lesson than really anything else he is going to learn on the court this year anyway.  Some times my kiddos surprise me.

To be clear, I like B's coach very much and hold no hard feelings toward him.  He is committed to helping these boys learn basketball and meeting them where they are.  He has a lot more to think about in those games beyond play time.  And Ben has a lot to learn about the strategy of the game, positioning, plays, and more.  But he is motivated.

Here is the constant spectator.  She has style and a fourth of her belongings.

 
Today was Brandon's last game of Fall ball.  Onto Winter ball in January.  This age group of basketball is such a hoot! They do keep score this year which is an upgrade from last year.  But it does still have a distinct feel of herding kittens while trying to move a ball.  I also love his two teammates in this picture who are surely calling his name for the pass.  Brandon is a bit of a baller though.  Perhaps from watching his siblings.  The lessons we will have to work with him on is not being such a ball hog.  He just loves to score.  Stinker.
  Here is his adorable team.  I have so much respect for his coach because I know that I couldn't do what he does. So patient with these kiddos while still managing to teach them basketball.  He is really fantastic.



Photo credit for Brandon's pics:  Daddy Rich




Our Saturday night ended with quite the party.  The grocery store party.  It was "lit", as the kids say.  Here is my fellow party companion.  We really know how to do a Saturday night right!  The penguin gets a bit unruly, so K is keeping him buckled and in line.  We all have that friend. . .

2 comments:

Kenneth Nash Jr. said...

I love that you know the kids say 'lit'..... I play the role of the toy soldier in the nutcracker tea every year at the o. henry. We sing a barbershop song called gingerbread, then we re-sing it as FAST as we can. I always set up the joke by asking the kids, 'what happens when you have alotalotalota cookies?'. First answer is always stomach ache. Followed by two more kids saying some version of the same thing. THEN, yesterday a little girl said, 'you get HYPE!'. I about fell out laughing. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the tea on the microphone setting up each thing by encouraging the crowd to 'get HYPE!'... I love knowing what the kids are saying.

Erin said...

That. Is. Awesome. :)