Saturday, December 3, 2016

DPP2016 - Day Two - Who Let The Dogs Out?

The end of the week brings a kind of light and relaxed feeling at the Hoffman house.  We didn't have anywhere we had to be which is so unusual.  Our only plans cancelled due to the eldest kiddo having a reoccurrence of strep throat that needed the day to let antibiotics kick in (see - should have taught her about penicillin yesterday).  We didn't even eat dinner until it was past bedtime.  We were so busy doing whatever anyone wanted to do, we didn't have time for convention.

I had a hard time picking which photo I wanted to submit today to the DPP Facebook page.  While the blog is often focused on our family and our experiences, my submissions are sometimes focused on how I stretched myself as a photographer.  Now that I am not doing photography regularly, my skills are rusty so I do like this time to refocus those efforts.  Today - since there was so much motion in the house with the three youngers enjoying play time, I tried my hand at getting some action shots.  ALWAYS a weakness of mine.  But you will see, though they are not perfect, I had some success tonight. So my submission will be my pup at mid run, with his ball in his mouth and ready to play. 
Now Teddy is typically a pretty chill pup but he loves a good game of fetch.  He is a gentle giant.  He loves his people and is tolerant of even K's pestering.  He is a big lump most of the time, content to chew on a bone, eat any socks left laying around (I wish I was kidding), or be the resident feet warmer.  He also loves to play; he is still a puppy after all.  His golden retriever side has a big love for tennis balls, whiffle balls, baseballs, - well, he isn't picky.  So we were playing in the basement when Ben and his friend decided to join in.  It made for a funny little series of pictures - I will share a few of the highlights here.  And this is how to best capture my Big B.  He is more of an action shot kinda of kid. 



"Look!  I have a ball!"  His happy little puppy strut.  Don't let those long legs fool you.  He is not graceful in the slightest.  I call him a big galumph on a regular basis because it fits him perfectly. 


B and his buddy wanted to play fetch but Teddy wouldn't give the ball back.  That is some serious doggy body language.  A play bow combined with leaning far away from those boys. He was ready to play but he wasn't giving that ball up without a fight. 


B gets the ball and Teds chases him down.  


Teddy settles for an orange tennis ball instead.  Coming over to mom to show what he has.  He likes to present things when he is proud of them.   I took a few still shots of him once he came to me and sat down.  While his guard was down, along came those boys and took his orange ball too!


B took off again but this time Teddy used the 'ol grab the shirt technique to slow him down.  Teddy has a soft mouth and never bites down - but he does get a little mouthy when he gets riled up!  B's buddy is ready for the pass.  They played keep away with Teddy for awhile which wore all three of them out.




Here is the patient playing her sick role very well.  Anything to be allowed to lay on the couch and watch TV.  You could tell that the medicine was really helping her by evening time but she dutifully remained on the couch getting her rest.



So we can't forget about Ms. K.  This picture isn't a great one from a photography standpoint.  She just couldn't stand to hold still.  She was SO proud of this crown she made at school.  She wore it most of the evening usually with that same big smile.  She is such a ham.

This is what her face looks like when she discovers that one of her siblings ate some of  her special snack from the Friday trip to the gas station.  About 6 months ago, a new gas station went up between K's day care and home.  Somewhere along the line, Rich began a tradition that on weeks the kiddos did well getting to school in the mornings and had good reports from their classrooms, they would get to stop and pick out a treat.  Rich is SO good about creating these little intentional moments that are Daddy traditions.  The kids embrace these and enjoy having something with their Daddy that is only theirs.  Many times teasing Mommy for being left out.  I play the role of indignant resentment well which only brings them even more joy.  Looks like K went with puppy chow!  Yum!  Not surprising, a crown and a few bites of puppy chow and her smile returned.

These two have been fighting like cats and dogs lately.  They both assure me that it is the other one's fault and they started it.  But tonight, they worked together to build the creation that lil b had in mind but couldn't quite make a reality.  E came with the perfect amount of help before returning to her spot on the couch.  Now, was that so hard?  Wish I could bottle that and sprinkle it on them when they start to argue.

Finally - this picture was the biggest contender for my picture for the day.  I would have titled it:  "I spy with my little eye. . . ."  I sure can see his little eye in there.  :)   He has always had his own way to see the world which only makes me love this picture more.  His big heart and deep thinking mind continue to teach me a new ways to look at things. 


1 comment:

Kenneth Nash Jr. said...

I think this one has to be "Who Let The Dogs Out"