Sunday, December 4, 2016

DPPDay3 - I'm a Survivor!

I almost skipped posting tonight.  I feel like I don't have anything nice to say.  You know what our moms say about that.  But this is real and it is part of my reality.  It isn't all sunshine and roses over here and there are days where you want a do over.  Days where you just feel crabby and that you have nothing left to give. Today was one of those days.  Exhausting from the start.  We had a early start from our favorite 3 year old who was just done sleeping.  We had seven basketball games.  Seven.  Three kids, seven games, two parents, and one tag along.  Logistically, that took some effort.  Little did I know how grateful I should have been for a day with seven basketball games being the hardest thing to manage.  It just didn't work out that way.  Here is today's post. . . . Sometimes when you think you had it hard, you get reminded that things could be harder.  And maybe that is the lesson to take away from this rough day - be grateful for the days you think are a challenge.   Here was the one stop we didn't want to have to make today. . . .
Fortunately, our visit was for something relatively minor.  In the scheme of ER visits, a broken wrist is hardly the worst of it.
E had many basketball games today.  Here is what I expected the day to look like. . . .all day.

 Snacks to keep her going for 5 basketball games in one day.
 A pregame huddle with the coach, whom I think is buddy taping a different player's fingers here.  Basketball is a contact sport!



My favorite player getting herself mentally ready to give it her best.  


Warming up.


Taking some notes during half time.


Cheering on your teammates until it is your turn to play.





I had waited for some more action shots of her playing for second half of her 3rd game - thinking that I would have a better shot.  They were up by 15 or more and looking great.  It was going to be the perfect game to catch some good shots.  Turns out, that opportunity didn't come.  Instead, she was on a fast break, when a girl came up from behind to try and steal the ball, tripped her, and she landed hard with the girl landing on top of her.  She is pretty stoic so it took me awhile to figure out she wasn't ok.  But when I saw her lose all color to her face, get all sweaty and lie down, we were off to the ER.  The car ride to the hospital with a broken arm is a long one for both the patient and her mama.  She was so uncomfortable and getting a little shocky.  She was working really hard to not throw up and to breathe normally.  It was snowing and roads were slick, so rushing it was not an option.  It is such a helpless feeling.  To know it won't start feeling better until we can get it to hold still and have no way of making that happen any sooner.  You become so painfully aware of every bump as a yelp and an apology go with each one.
You can see in her face she is hurting but she is tough.  She won't cry and fuss like many 12 year old girls (like I would have. . .the whole neighborhood would have known I was hurt).  But for me, that almost makes it worse.  The pained look, the quiet tears streaming down her face, the red face, the deep breaths, the furrowed brow.  Breaks a mama's heart.  Once the x-rays were done, she had some pain medicine and she could keep her arm still so she perked up.  Typical 12 year old returned in full force using one handed texting and calling to report her news.  :)  My biggest miss photography wise today was that I didn't have my camera out when she was trying to get a cast included selfie.  SOOOOOO funny. 


The good news is, we made it back in time to see the last game of the tournament.  They were doing well and she was so eager to see how the rest of the games went.  Here are the tournament champions!  That was a nice end to the basketball day even if she didn't get to be part of all of that victory.   If you look close, you can see that awesome splint she has.  She really likes this group of girls.  They are all great teammates, encouraging one another and caring about one another.  Will you indulge me a little whiney mama moment?  Elizabeth broke the same wrist less than a year ago.  Also in December (get me some bubble wrap!).  It is a hard injury to have and recover from during a basketball season. . . .and it just doesn't feel fair.  She hasn't thought that far ahead yet for which I am grateful.  But I know those disappointments and struggles are on their way.  Most days, I say that struggle and hard is good for my kiddos.  But today, I just want to feel sorry for her and even for me, a little bit.
We also had a full on kid meltdown tonight - you know, to top the day off.  Oh parents of younger ones, you know those fits of which I speak, right?  The ones where you are confident that your sweet adorable child may need an exorcism because they couldn't possibly be THIS crazy.  I have yet to get through one of these and think, "Yes, I handled that well."  It seems like it is an exercise in trial and error every single time.  Trying to find that balance between the need to teach appropriate expression of emotion and wanting to allow for emotion and frustration.  I miss the mark every single time.  Plus, these always feel like they happen when I am feeling low on reserve. Maybe I need to analyze the way I parent when I am spent and tired.  Or maybe, I just accept that it is part of life with four kids.  I will think about that later. . . . maybe.

So because I just can't stand to have my whole post be a downer. . . here are two cutie patootie moments.  One from early this morning with K and Lil B playing with the dog and one from K rocking out in the bathroom while trying to brush her teeth.  There is good in every day - some days you just have to look a little harder.  And some days, you just need to wallow in self pity and that is ok too.  :)



3 comments:

Terry Peterson said...

Every time one of these crises happen, we die a little with fear and sadness that our little ones feel pain. The good news is that, for the most part, the make us thrive.
A day like this is the reason that wine was invented.

Omom said...

You survived the day. Sometimes all you can shoot for!

Kenneth Nash Jr. said...

Hmmm... Survivor - Destiny's Child or even better, Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder?