Monday, December 22, 2014

Catching UP! Day 18, 19, 20 and 21

Day 18 - Because I am not up to date with my posting - I am a little blurry as to what happened on each day.  So I will have to share the stories that my pictures tell - for the rest of the days have gotten lost in the hustle and bustle.   Because I am so far behind - I will likely only post the 21st picture to the actual December Photo Project site.

This first picture was a very sweet gift I received from one of my co-workers.  She is a joy to work with as she always works hard to approach the world with a positive attitude.  She has heard me say things to the effect that I don't believe in perfect moms.  The mom that believes she is perfect or hears the outside world telling her so has lost the ability to learn and grow.  And it is my belief that it is in embracing our imperfections, the daily cataloging of our mistakes, and the actions to make the next day better are exactly what makes us the best moms we can be.  I am intentional in analyzing my parenting each day and there is always plenty to critique.  I am also not shy about sharing my short comings with others.  I always appreciate it when I can learn from someone else's mistakes.  So my friend has heard my failings that I have shared and she brought me this book.  I am looking forward to what gems it holds inside. 

 This is the picture that taught me the lesson that it is impossible to catch someone working naturally.  Something about someone walking into your office with a big honkin' camera up to their face tends to draw attention.  Who woulda thunk it?  But this is my friend, Jill.  She is one of the newest of my coworkers and she is a lot of fun.  We spend a lot of time being really jealous of her clean desk and her coordinated decorations. But sorry, Jill - you made a good effort at looking like you are working. . . but I think people may be onto our staging on this picture. 

 The coworker selfie.  This will likely go viral that like Oscar's one that Ellen took. . .because that is how cool the people are in this picture.  This was at the graduation dinner for the PA Students.  We feel privileged to get invited to their senior dinner and we look forward to being able to celebrate with them.  They work so hard to get to this point and we work hard too!  :)  In case you were wondering - I work with really fun people. 
That handsome bald guy is someone pretty special too but not one of my coworkers.  But we have discussed his greatness many times and I am sure we will discuss it again.  He is the best.

 
Day 19 --  NEWS of the Day!  Brandon is finally feeling better!  What a hard week for the little man.

Today was graduation day!  Once I was home from graduation - I spent all evening looking for a dress for Rich's work Christmas party. . . .that is on Day 20.  Way to plan ahead, Hoffman.
Here are a few pictures from today.

So excited that Tami came!  We miss her tremendously!  What a huge loss her leaving was. 






We missed Darwin and Steph!  So we took this picture for them.  Do mortar boards look good on anyone?!?!

Day 20 - A trip to KC for Rich's work party.  All I know is that we don't do this type of thing enough.  We had so much fun.  Rich works with great people who were so kind to me.  I had missed the last two years because of kids (usually sick ones) keeping me home.  I was made to feel welcome and missed.  I heard so many compliments about Rich -- but the kind of compliments that let me know that they truly do know Rich and his greatest strengths.  One of his coworkers called him "incredibly endearing to clients".  What a perfect choice of words.  Rich will never be the most polished or perfected -- but it turns out that is one of his best qualities.  Because Rich is real, incredibly friendly, and completely disarming.  Endearing - what a perfect word for him.  I am a bit biased -- but I have yet to meet someone that has spent any time with the guy who doesn't think he is the best.  I quite agree.  Here we are ready for our party. 

*Sigh* - Love that guy!

Day 21 -  Today was a great day.  We awakened rested - having no one waking us with leg pains, headaches, bad dreams, or separation anxiety.  We had a lovely breakfast and were able to sip our coffee leisurely.  Knowing that our sweet babysitter (Rich's mom) would likely be ready for our arrival -- as four kids is a lot no matter how fantastic they are-- we packed and headed home.  We enjoyed our three hours of chat time.  It is clear that we both very much enjoy laughing -- and it might be picking on each other that makes us laugh the most.

Arriving home was a rude awakening - Ben was tired from a sleepover, Brandon missed his nap, Katherine didn't want Mommy to stop holding her, and Elizabeth had become deluded into thinking she was in charge.  This was a recipe for operation - get bedtime here!  We wrapped some presents - trying to involve the children as much as possible.  Distraction is a good thing.  We fed them dinner and immediately began the bedtime routine.  They all crashed and burned quickly.  They just needed some sleep. 

By the time it occurred to me that I hadn't take any pictures today - I went and took a picture of my favorite subjects.  It was the kind of day that needed a moment to see their sweetness when they sleep.  Sometimes on those days - it is hard to see their sweetness when they are awake.

Sleepovers wear a guy out.  He was so excited for his sleepover that started at 4pm yesterday - that he spent the entire Saturday waiting by the front door.
 He fought bedtime the hardest.  He had passed that point when they are so tired - all they do is cry and thrash. . . until they crash and burn.  You'd never know it now. . .so peaceful.
Katherine seems to love stuffed animals.  It seems like everyday there is another one that /has/ to be in her bed.  You will note that not only does HER Mickey need to be in there but Brandon's as well.
 I couldn't resist this shot through her crib slats.  Those itty bitty toes.  Too cute!  It also makes me so painfully aware that our crib days are numbered.  I know that the next stages hold so much joy but there is a part of me that just doesn't want to let go of the baby stage.  *sniff*.

 She is growing up so fast.  Every day I look at her and marvel at her growing maturity (and heighth for that matter). Every. Day.   And she might kill me for posting this picture.  So let's all keep it quiet, shall we? 

Whether she likes it or not, she is just as sweet and irresistible as her younger siblings.  How could I not include her?

This is where Rich usually catches his first two or three hours of sleep.  I need to wrap this blog up so that I can go tell him it is time to go to bed.  I am exhausted too.  We had a fun weekend - but driving 6 hours in two days for a few hours of party takes it out of a pair of old goats, like us. 

No comments: