Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Day 10 - Perspective photos

Dpp2018 Day 10  Perspective 

It was bound to happen.   The cold that began with Rich and E has finally hit me.  I blame the three hours of coughing to KC.  So I am typing this from my bed, on my phone.  I beg forgiveness for errors and autocorrects.  I feel pretty fortunate for all my years practicing in pediatrics because I really don’t catch many colds.  Nothing like getting sick to give you perspective about being grateful for all those colds you haven’t caught over the years.

Someone who is much more miserable than I is Miss K.  She woke up this morning with an ear infection.  The perks of being a pediatric PA, is I can look when needed and have a call in to her pediatric provider pronto.  We tried ibuprofen but it didn’t help the pain so she had a pretty miserable day.  Her sweet Daddy made it better by picking her up from school and helping her create a nest. This comfy bumfy as my sweet mama always calls it did make her feel better.  First dose of antibiotics is on board and she is headed towards the mend. Daddy for the win!

Chillin’ in Dad’s Office
I don’t think anyone likes being sick but I do think the silver lining to illness is perspective. Recognizing how much you should appreciate feeling well.  The big dog illnesses give perspective on the amount of slow down you can accomplish if needed, who cares for you, and what REALLY matters.  I think perspective is one of the main reasons I do this blog each year.  To help me see the worthwhile in the hard, the strength in the struggle, and cohesiveness in the chaos.  So that became my focus today.  My photos today were a close perspective versus the whole picture.  Sometimes being close up brings clarity and sometimes stepping back is what gives the clear picture.

Close up - do you know what it is? 

See if you know what the close ups are and I will post the zoomed out version in the next blog.

I am hitting that panicky stage of Christmas prep.  I have not begun shopping.  I don’t even have much for ideas for the kiddos or Rich. I haven’t even created one list and normally by this time, I have many ready for checking off.  No baking has been done.  Usually by now, we have chosen a few service projects as well.  And to be quite honest, I am not sure when time will present itself to get this train moving.  This the panicky stage....

Too close and wrong viewpoint 

At the end of the day, those things that must get done will get done.  Maybe not exactly the way they always do and maybe not to the degree they usually do.  But it will all get done.  It took the fourth kid and all the busy that came with it before I could finally let go of trying to be Pinterest perfection all the time.  What a liberating moment that was! What I discovered in letting it go was that it was all a facade anyway.  What lies beneath is where the experience exists.  Christmas will always be memorable at our house as long as the recipe includes time with family, a focus on those in need, and keeping eyes on the reason for the season.  It is so easy to let the stresses of the holiday hustle and bustle set the tone.  It is within our control to set the tone to a totally different note by setting priorities in line with what makes the season special to you.  As those lists begin to take form over the next few days, my challenge will be to keep my perspective and prioritize those things that add meaning.  Because even knowing the above to be true, when in action, I struggle to keep that perspective.  I get lost in it just as much as the next person.  And let's face it....I will still panic.  I will just have to keep stepping back, taking big breaths, and looking for perspective.

Zoom out and see what matters.


No comments: