Saturday, December 8, 2018

Day 7 - Friday Fun.

Sometimes I start these posts and have no idea what on earth I am going to write.  It just develops as I go.  Today is one of those days.  Nothing monumental happened today which after this week felt like a big win.

After work today, it was time to decide who was going where and doing what this weekend.  Since Rich had recently been out of town, he was ready to be home for a little while.  So E and I packed up and we headed to KC.  But before I left, I snapped these few pictures of the crew readying themselves for a movie night. 

Three good buddies....

Apparently, her snack is worth display and a thumbs up.
The kiddos just love when Uncle Tev comes over.  He always bring extra energy and fun every time he walks in the door.  Tonight - they were strategizing over the best place for take out since Mom would be gone.  Then they had big plans to watch movies.  And when Kevin is around - you will always know where for find Teddy..... right at Kevin's feet. 

E and I drove to KC and talk about a treasure of a trip.  These trips are fun because they can be laid back, all about one kiddo, and fairly unstructured.  E spent the drive chatting and engaging.  As the teenage years roll in, you see more headphones and withdrawal into their own world on car drives.  This drive was so good for my soul.  She laughed hysterically sharing things from her world and favorite videos.  She has a great laugh though it was interrupted by coughing (cold is still working its way out).  She told me stories and taught me slang.  Well, tried to teach me slang - I am looking forward to using it and the eye roll that will follow.  We had the best time.  It felt more like being on a road trip with one of my best friends than a teenage daughter.  I hope that this is the glimpse of what our friendship will look like when she is grown but for now, she needs me to be a Mom.  Knowing that, makes this drive all the more special. I am so thankful for the closeness I feel with all my kiddos.  It is definitely something I do not take for granted and intentionally try to nurture.  I am learning as I enter this teenage phase that I need to let her come to me now and that can be hard when I know she is wrestling with tough stuff.  But I rest soundly in the place where I know she has more than enough strength and character to deal with most anything. When we finally made it to KC, she had friends waiting at the door for her arrival.  Like any good road trip, we had bought some good hotel room hang out snacks before leaving down.   Here are the girls enjoying the snacks, laughing, giggling, and being just as crazy as they should be at this age. 



No comments: