Thursday, December 6, 2018

Day 5 - All fired up.

I am sitting here watching cheesy Hallmark Channel Christmas movies while trying to do online grocery shopping and preparing to do today's blog.  I am reflecting on being teased by coworkers today about being off my game this week and wanting to know when Rich would be back in action. This was light hearted banter that I found hilarious.  Plus, I am the first to admit that I am better when Rich is by my side.  He strengthens where I am weak.  Just the same, I have done this temporary single mom thing many times when Rich's work needed to take a front seat for awhile.  It has always been fine and smooth.  Maybe it was the Monday, Monday or lack of sleep or just a blip on the radar screen.  Whatever the case may be, it is taking a good sense of humor to get through some of these self-created bumps in the road.   Tonight was quite the doozy.  After running Lil b to and from basketball, we picked up some Arby's to bring home for a late dinner (online grocery shopping should help eliminate the need for take out food!).   Big B was at basketball so I left his meal in the bag and tucked it in the microwave.   Suddenly, I had this bright idea that if I just gave the food about 30 second of heat, the microwave would probably help the food hold its heat.  That saying of out of sight, out of mind had some real truth in it.  See, that foil wrap that they put around Arby's sandwiches was out of sight and it was definitely not in my mind.  About 10 seconds into that 30 seconds, there were full fledged flames in the microwave.  Interestingly, if I hadn't doused it all in water, the sandwich may have made it unscathed but the curly fries were goners. 

Oops.  #dpp2018 #day5

I am feeling incredibly fortunate that the only thing harmed in this incident was my pride.  There is a nice added aroma to the house that I can't seem to shake too.  Fortunately for B, I was too busy firefighting to eat my dinner - so it became his.  I reheated it on a plate, without any metal or flammable materials.  Novel idea, eh? 

I didn't love this event but I couldn't help but laugh at myself.  Naturally, my coworkers were the first to be notified that I was continuing my crazy week with flare (pun intended).  I was grateful for their mix of humor and concern. 

It was a good thing I didn't spend too much time feeling stupid and foolish because I would have missed out on some other good stuff. 

K and Lil B were catching the end of the Grinch movie with an extra fluffy and lovable pillow.  These two are the best little buddies and they love their puppy.  Lil B is doting towards K and is constantly teaching her new things.  K dutifully responds with appropriate little sister admiration.  It makes my heart happy. 


E was home sick today and managed that on her own for the first time.  Well, she did have Netflix to keep her company.  Despite her day of rest, she was tucked away and ready for bed early on.  I am hoping this day of rest allows her to turn the corner on this cold. 

She is somewhere in there.....
And last to arrive home and last to eat dinner and last to get in bed. . . .big B.  But he fell asleep instantly with his buddy by his side.  B gives Teds lots of extra love and attention.  He approaches the dog by thinking what the dog wants from him.  And slowly but surely, I think B is becoming Ted's person.  He used to sleep in B's room until I went to bed.  Now, he stays all night.   They are just so peaceful sleeping there together and I love his folded hands. 


A very end of the day, I had a last minute add.  A selfie taken while writing this blog.  Someone got up feeling scared and wanting her mommy.  So she slept on my lap for a little while.  I stopped for awhile and just held her.  I am in those final stretches - when I know that one of these times will be the last time I hold her while she sleeps and that part of my life will be over.  Those lasts don't announce themselves.  They just quietly never happen again.  I spent so long enjoying that moment, that the little sweetie quietly asked, "take me to my bed please".   Now, I find myself saying the same thing.  It is time for sleep.  For this brain clearly needs to be rested for the sake of restoring order to the rest of this week.  Good Night.....


No comments: