Wednesday, December 16, 2015

DPP Day 15 - Happy National Cupcake Day

Day 15 was a pretty great day.  I was able to go to Lincoln and see my good friends at clinic.  It is always a little bittersweet to visit.  So sweet to see these wonderful people who helped to shape me into the professional and the person I am today.  People that have celebrated some of life's biggest celebrations with me and whom I have been privileged to be part of their big celebrations.  They are family to me and I adore them.  But it is bitter - because it becomes so painfully obvious how little I am there.  That some of the closeness fades because I am not present in the small moments.  And while that is sad and I wish there was more time to engage in all the small moments with all the people I love - I am always relieved and grateful to realize the big stuff - the stuff that really matters - remains constant.  These are people who stand by anyone who needs them and inspire others to do so too. So today I got to spend my day with people that I will always support and people I know I can count on for anything. 

I came home to quite the treat!  A very sweet friend of mine decided that National Cupcake Day needed to be celebrated at the Hoffman household.  And 6 of the most beautiful cupcakes I have ever seen were waiting for my arrival home from work.  She didn't have any other reason than thoughtfulness and kindness for dropping off these high class treats.  :)  While I was surprised by the treats, I am not surprised by the generous spirit of this friend.  Cupcakes are just the tip of the icing as to all the wonderful things she brings to my life.  My appreciation for friends in my life just kept right on going after work today.  I often wonder how Rich and I got so lucky to have such a vast network of friends that are truly good friends that we would do anything for and that would do anything for us.  Whether near or far, daily visits or infrequent visits, old friend or new, we have amazing people doing this life with us and for that, we are incredibly grateful.  But mostly - we just want to eat cupcakes.  :)  (Psst - they were really good and we have leftovers - wanna come visit?!?!)

Here are the beautiful cupcakes (and my DPP pic for today). 

Aren't they gorgeous?!?! 

After the kids returned from piano lessons, we sat down and had a nice dinner with happy children.  It was the Norman Rockwell experience that we were lacking on Day Four of this year's DPP project.  Lots of lively conversation around their days.  My favorite - and it is a rare occurrence - is when they will get talking to each other and no longer need the prompting we usually do each evening.  Rich and I usually smile at each other and enjoy the entertainment that comes from children chatting and reflecting with other children.  So sweet and frequently funny.  The tone turned much more serious when the cupcakes emerged.  And the negotiations began.  It must have been a good day with all the stars aligned because nobody bickered about it.  Many wanted the same cupcake and they were able to work things out.  Plus, it helps that mom would only let them have half of one.  (I mean, come on!  The frosting is like 4 inches high!  One is too much, right?!?!  --  well for everyone but mom. . . .no?  ok, ok, I will only have half of one too:) ).  Here are those serious negotiations.


Today at the Little's school - there was a Santa visit.  This was a lively topic of sharing at dinner.  I felt that I wanted to make sure that I shared a little of Katherine's experience here because I am sure I will forget it over time.  When I first arrived home - K made sure to tell me right away that "Santa Closet" had visited.  She played for a bit and then returned to tell me that "Santa Closet" is scary and crabby.  After playing some more, she returned with the book that Santa had given her at school.  When I told her that it was nice of Santa to give her that nice book, she looked at me and thought for a moment.  Then she said, I like "Santa Closet" because I like presents.   She followed up with, "I don't like him enough to sit on his lap."  That seemed fair enough.  :)  Here she is enjoying her new book.


Oh - I am sure that I have more memories or stories to share - but I can't keep my eyes open any longer for tonight.  More tomorrow. . .

No comments: