Tuesday, December 8, 2015

DPP Day 8 - Concert Time

It was concert night!  I can distinctly remember my elementary performances.  Those who know me will not be surprised that, as a kid, I was sure that these performances were Broadway quality and those who came to see me were being blessed with quite the treat.  It is fun to be one of the "blessed" this evening.  I am still not entirely sure how these music teachers get these kiddos to all learn to play an instrument - let alone play the same song at the same time and different parts for different instruments.  That seems like quite the accomplishment.  The choir teacher is so much fun to watch.  She is engaged and animated as she leads the students through their songs.  If she doesn't love her job, I would be surprised.  The kids always have an impressive number of songs prepared, often complete with actions, props, and fun surprises.  Not surprising - I took a lot of pictures.  :) 

I am incredibly grateful for the presence of music in my kids schools.  Music teaches so much in such subtle ways that often the kiddos don't realize they are learning.  It was my understanding of music that made it so I understood fractions.  It helps focus, patience, and perseverance too.  You cannot progress as a musician without focusing on your music and not losing your place, having the patience to sit and work on something slowly and deliberately, and to keep trying until you get it right.  Teaching a kiddo that patience in the process and continue to try has value in the classroom and in life.  Things like Music, Art, and even PE need to be a priority.  They teach many lessons that are hard or impossible to accomplish in the classroom.   Those subjects help to connect the dots for those subjects that get all the attention.  And they reinvigorate the brain to make it ready to tackle those typical subjects again.


Here is the one that I am submitting for DPP - because - once in awhile, I have to keep up with all those fancy photographers in this challenge with me.  :)  (I know, I know, I usually post this one last.  I am changing it up).


Ben and his friend ran into each other at the concert.  You have never seen two kiddos who went from begrudging to happy as clams as fast as these two did!  You can see the pig nose has made it to another blog post.  I'd like to explain the presence of the pig nose in this situation but that would mean that I understood it.  The friend's mom told me that Ben informed her that the nose would keep anyone from recognizing him.  So - in case you have been fooled - that is Ben behind that nose. 

I love this picture so much.  I saw Rich laughing with his mom.  Probably teasing her in some way - judging by the look on his face.  And I snapped a picture as quickly as I could.  That face.  It shows his silly and his ornery.  Which in my eyes is a perfect way to image him.   The fact that it is with his mama - that makes it even more perfect.  He adores her (and so do I) and I think you can see that in this image too.  *Sigh*  Maybe I need to reconsider this one for today's post. 







This little lady - she was on a holy quest to watch Elizabeth and ONLY Elizabeth during this concert.  Despite being two, she was completely content to listen to the music and enjoy the show.  Her favorite part was giving wild applause at the end of each piece.  She was clearly Elizabeth's biggest fan this evening. 
 






Here is the performer and two of her good friends.  These girls were in the same class for Kindergarten and have remained friends ever since.  I am thankful for these two girls in E's life because they are both sweet and fun.  Even better - their moms have become my friends.  The best kind of buy one get one free deal ever.  :)
This picture cracks me up.  This is NOT in character for Elizabeth - at least not any previous performances I have seen.  She is usually understated and a bit reserved.  If there are actions, they are all there but as small as she can possibly make them.  Not tonight - she did the actions as planned and clearly had a wonderful time performing.  I am not sure what got her laughing - but I am excited I caught it!

One thing that I want to remember that I will likely forget is that when she performs in these concerts - between songs - and sometimes during the slower songs, she leans on the back metal bars of the risers.  It looks like she is just lounging around on a Sunday watching football.  While the former performer in me is appalled - the mom in me finds it funny.  I teased her about it after the show and she claims it is just so comfortable.  You know - like metal bars have a tendency to be???
 
How fortunate we are to have so many supporters for one girl's elementary school program. 

No comments: