Friday, December 3, 2021

DPP2021 Day 3 - Turn Around.




Today started very similarly to yesterday.  It isn't typical for the teenagers to not wake up on time.  But this is now three days in a row.   E's entire nightstand lost power so she didn't wake.  Big B just didn't want to get up.  He also didn't want to get left behind by his sister but not so much that he was willing to pick up the pace.   So you can see his enthusiasm for mom dropping him off instead.  It was a grumpy start to the day.   He had the typical teenage displaced anger where he lashed out at me for frustrations that had nothing to do with my actions.  Atypical to a teenager but true to form for Big B - he recognized his behavior, named it, and apologized.  I am constantly amazed at his capacity for insight, kindness, and authentic empathy.  If I had been the teenager, I would have been irritated and cranky the entire drive and felt entitled that somehow my mom deserved my wrath.   Sorry, mom.  I am sure I owe you about a hundred apologies or more for those cranky mornings.  The top picture shows that his day turned around and he got to end the day with his pup who sometimes just can't get close enough.  He doesn't mind though.  They are good buddies.   Below, you can appreciate how cranky it started - maybe I deserved his frustration for snapping a photo when he was mad......



On my way into work, I checked on my parents, who would typically have been asleep.  But they were awake and active.   This boost of energy on a Friday morning was such a blessing.   They have had a rough couple months and to see them both up, laughing, and chatting with our friend, Dale was enough to erase every moment of the bumpy start to the day.   Expecting this not to last, I checked in on them later in the day too.   It had not been an isolated moment which makes me so happy for a good day!   I headed home to get some more work done and then take K to her basketball practice.  K and I stopped on our way home back to check on my parents and do Dad's antibiotic infusion.   I was able to snap a few photos.   The first is a little documentation of the yuckiness of this time and Dad fights his way back to health.   The steps it is taking for him to turn things around have been quite the journey - but yet he finds a way to smile through it.  What a rockstar.

These next two photos are just another highlight why Kevin is so great.  The first is my mom opening Days 1, 2, 3 of her advent gingerbread house that Kevin gave to her a few years ago.   Kevin asked all the family for things the loved about mom and then he put them on slips of paper, placed them in the gingerbread calendar for mom to open each year as a countdown to Christmas.  Who wouldn't love an advent calendar that lists all the ways you are loved.  Day 2 was especially special because it was one of Brian's.  We miss him so much but these little surprise reminders stop the pit in the stomach long enough to turn it around to warm our hearts.  The next photos is of Kevin teaching K the slapping the backs of hands "game".   Silly girl thinks this game is hilarious.   Mostly, I loved that I caught the mock scowling as they prepared for another round.   




Finally, today the Christmas tree came out.  I had Nancy, our decorator friend, help get all the other decorations out.  I will have to post pictures at some point because she did an amazing job.   The kids were all so excited that they helped Rich clean up the garage so that they could get to it and they helped carry it in.  It is pretty heavy so this was some fun teamwork to see.  On Sunday, we will have the whole family available to turn this around to a decorated tree.   



Silver linings - in a future post, likely I will share why the last two months have been so tough but for now, take my word for it.  My Dad having energy, smiles, and get up and go this morning and throughout the day brings unmeasurable joy to my heart.  And because he had that energy, I was able to find rest in the mundane.  The typical getting work done, running kids to activities, and sitting down to have a family dinner that I cooked.  Turning around the things I typically take for granted into things that bring great peace and joy.  

No comments: