Monday, December 20, 2021

DPP2021 Days 18 and 19 - Lights, Camera, Action

 

A full and fun weekend was had by the Hoffman crew!  The photo above is what I will submit to for the day's photos is from Santa's Rockin' Eve light show that we were able to attend courtesy of Google and my brother who works there.  More on that in a bit.  Interestingly, on Friday, I had made a mental list of all the things I was going to get done with my "free" weekend.  Well, Lil B had a tournament that got added, we had the light show, watching the Huskers come up just short and then we added in a trip to the Symphony as well.  My to do remains unchanged as I sit here at 11:30 on a Sunday night.  Starting to feel the stress of what must get done rolling in.   I am trying to keep my focus on family, togetherness, and fun.  Taking opportunities as they become available.  This weekend we succeeded in some unexpected fun.  So while I admit that list feels heavier tonight, I know it was worth it to set it aside to make room for our lights, camera, and action filled weekend.   

Saturday started out with a bang.  The only thing worse than an 8:30am YMCA basketball game for 14 year old boys is an 8:30am YMCA basketball game for 14 year old boys where the opposing team didn't call, just no showed.  My team of guys has to be the best group of young men - great attitudes, kind kids, and so polite.  They had one birthday that didn't make the cut off for 14u basketball, so they had to play up.  The Y didn't have a 15u league so these guys played at 16u.  The difference between freshman and juniors is brutal and it was a hard fall league.  Early on, I just asked them to play all forty minutes.  We knew they would be outsized and out matched on speed so we decided we would take chances and get better.  Not only did they play all forty minutes of every last game, they found ways to have fun doing so.  I was so proud of the growth and the grit they had.  A little special pride for Big B as he is one of the smaller kids on our team but still stayed in it, played hard, and used his unpredictable movements to find success anyway.  Poor kids are saddled with a coach whose top talent is subbing guys in and out.  So it was disappointing to not have the team show for our last game, but the guys showed up just like they have every other week.  I gave them the choice to head back home to bed or play each other.   We had 7, so they looked to the stands to see if some parents would play.   Only one volunteered..... None other than the best dad ever....Rich.  

We started full court but it became clear really quickly that Rich wasn't gonna make it. No judgement - most of us reading this would be in the same boat or worse.  So we switched from 4 on 4 to 3 on 3 and played half court.   He was imperfect and clumsy.   Becoming aware of how much harder it is to do than to watch.   But he was all in.  He was playing full out, giving his best and combining it with his humor.  He made some shots and threw some airballs but all of that didn't matter.  He was the MVP in Big B's world and mine.  It was a perfect way to end the season.  Now. . . will he be able to move by tomorrow.....

Next up with Lil B for the first of the surprise tournament games.   They have moved up a level in competition and it is an adjustment.  Lil B is competitive and has a drive to win - which makes this new level hard for him.  But it stretches him to grow and improve which is what the whole point is of basketball at this age.   Fortunately, he bounces back quickly and returns to his happy self.  He got some one on one time with mom and dad after his game as we all stopped at Omom and Pawee's to do some chores.  Lil B has always been an avoider of chores and work.   Often agreeing to do a job and then quietly disappearing without doing it. . . highly clever and effective in a family with four kids.  By the time we realized he hasn't complete it, he is long gone.   But today, he was a helper extraordinaire.  No complaints and eager to help.   And help, he did.   Here he is helping both to get all the leaves out of his grandparents garage but he also learned how to jump start a car.   Now, will someone please tell me why the Germans put the battery in the trunk!?!?!?



Once he was finished, Uncle Tev got the idea to "teach him to shave".   At first, I was a bit alarmed.  However, Kevin brought out an element of childhood that I had long since forgotten.  When we were young, if we came in while Dad was shaving, he would let us sit on the counter, lather up our faces with shaving cream, and "shave" our faces with the back of his hair comb.  It brought back so many memories watching Kevin play this moment forward.   Lil B was a bit generous with the shaving cream and had it everywhere - including his nose.   He had a great time pretending to shave.  He even tried the aftershave which got a Home Alone type of response from him.   
I often feel sorry for the kids that choose to stay at home when I can see what they are missing.  I always hope they start to learn that on their own.  Sometimes showing up is all you need to do to find some fun adventures.  Big B and K would have loved this adventure.

The evening wrapped up with the awesome light show.  I am not sure I would have loved the light show as much if I would have paid the price for the ticket as it is, in my opinion, a bit steep for something that lasts about 30 minutes.  However, Uncle Tev spoiled the kids and my mom with light up Christmas light necklaces.  We stopped for some hot chocolate to enjoy while we drove through.  We had two cars.  E went with her grandparents and Kevin while the rest of us were in the van.  Our car was raucous and loud as the kids sang along loudly and exclaimed at different things at they drove by.  We found the Christmas dinosaurs to be particularly amusing.  They sent themselves into fits of giggles as we passed the GIANT "Ho Ho Ho" signs and they all were doing their best Santa impression.  I suspect the other car was far more subdued but I was told that E was a blast.  She chatted away, pointing out all the best things, and making the experience even more fun for her car.  She was probably thrilled to not be in the loud car.   We ended the night with Taco Pizza and Husker Volleyball.   It was pretty great family night.  Here is how E and her friend, Faith watch Husker Volleyball.


The next day was full as well but the only photos I took were from a quick adventure to the Symphony for a holiday spectacular.  K was riveted.   Mom and Dad decided at the last minute that they couldn't go.  Fortunately, our friends were in the neighborhood and were able to jump in and join us.  It was SO fun.  I was sad that Mom and Dad didn't get to go but it was a decent second best that K got to watch with one of her good buddies.   



Now I am to the point my eyes are drooping and I keep having to delete and rewrite as I type nonsense with my eyes closed.  So it is time for sleep for this mama.  But I close this weekend out with a full heart and lots of gratefulness for the extra fun that comes out for this season. 

No comments: