Wednesday, December 8, 2021

DPP2021 Day 8 - Future focused

 

Each morning I get up earlier than necessary to spend time reflecting, praying, learning, and having some "me" time.  Once the first kid alarm goes off, my day begins at a feverish pace and typically doesn't slow down until my head hits the pillow.  I have never been a morning person but it is the only time of day where I can carve out some time to Be Still.   Once the Christmas tree goes up, I set the timer so that the tree will join me in my morning quiet time.   I honestly don't know why we don't have white twinkling lights up all year long.  There is just something so soothing and happy about it.  My morning began with thoughts of what is to come.  There is a lot going on and sometimes I just need to think through how it is all going to work out.  Today had a very future focus.  

My day started with an oncology appointment with my Dad.  Dad's oncologist has to be one of my favorite medical providers I have ever met.  He is a straight shooter and clearly a thoughtful human.  You can see him working through variables even as you speak to him.  He is both wise and realistic.  He firmly accepts the role as partner in health care and is so respectful of the patient experience.  I have learned a lot from him as to how I both want to be as a provider and how I want to teach future providers to be.  

This visit was more hopeful than some.  The oncologist was almost giddy at how strong Dad looked and how well he was doing.  He felt confident that Dad was going to be able to handle this regimen to completion and that he was responding in such a way that he felt good that he was starting to look at a man that in the next 4, 5, 6 years they would spend more time talking about grandkids than about cancer.  What a great line of encouragement.  All in a moment, the future seemed more real.  There is part of this process that is just taking things one day and one moment at a time.  Because looking down the road too far is discouraging or scary.  The prospect of this unsettled time going on for months and months more is not what my Dad wanted to hear - but I hope he didn't miss that the reward for that struggle was that he was lucky enough to be doing well enough to be looking at this landing fully in the rear view mirror.  A cure.  A cure of a cancer that even in the best of conditions, rarely lands with that result.  When I think of the number of patients and families that don't even get to entertain that hope when diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, I am humbled even further.   I will cheerlead and walk along side my Dad to help get him there.  I will hold him and prop him up on the hard days.  And I will remind him every chance I get how proud I am of his grit and resilience through this awfulness.   He really has been unbelievably strong.   

The rest of my day was spent celebrating the brave souls who took a chance on Creighton University PA Program to be part of the inaugural class of #JayPAs.   To say I am proud of these young men and women would be an understatement.  They took on a first pass curriculum, remained flexible and ready to learn.  And just when they were finding their groove, a pandemic came and changed the game. They embarked on rotations and set such a high bar for what it means to be a Creighton PA which is just what we wanted.  Preceptors frequently told us how these were some of the most prepared students they have ever precepted.  All credit to this class because through it all, they worked hard and found their way.  Then they blew national exams out of the water with their brilliance letting us know that both they and we had found our way to creating something special.   

Having a graduation dinner with them this evening was so special and I can't wait for Saturday when their future, that we have been focused on since 2017 becomes their present.   Go set the world on fire, Class of 2021!!

No comments: