Saturday, December 2, 2023

Early Departure - DPP2023 Day 2


A poorly timed snowstorm changed our plans today.  What began as just a dusting was suddenly 2-4 inches falling at the time we would be leaving the next morning.  Weighing our options, we felt enjoying our morning in the mountains and having a late arrival today was better than a potential late night arrival before we had to work the next day.  We were both disappointed by the early departure but felt confident we were making the right decision.  Mountain storms can be unpredictable and driving on snow and ice on the canyon road pictured above seemed ill advised.

We did venture out to get the photo of Samson.  He now lives at the bottom of the stairwell and will forever remind me of this winter trip to the cabin.  What a beautiful fella.  

We had a Santa and Mrs. Claus sighting today!   

They were just casually walking across the street when I hung out my window - stopping on the highway (thank goodness for no traffic in the winter) to take a photo!   Made my day to see this fun and random thing on a Saturday morning.  I felt like a 5 year old when I rolled down my window and yelled - Hi Santa!

LeAnna and I stopped while shopping downtown to appreciate the beauty of the running water under the ice. It was such a soothing sound and so beautiful.  

Early departures are rarely welcomed and often cause disappointment.  Today was no different but we made the best of it.  We found time to take in the mountains and random sightings of Santa to bring joy into the day anyway.  That has been the story of my life since Dad made an early departure.   The disappointment and grief walk with me every day because he was a larger than life person in my life.  My person, my lifeline, my advisor, my adventure buddy, and so much more.  Even so, joy creeps into every nook and cranny of my life.  I feel so blessed by family, friends, coworkers, and even strangers that, often unknowingly, bring me the joy and comfort that makes the challenge of this season easier.   

No comments: