Saturday, December 9, 2023

Too busy for blogging! DPP2023 Days 7-9

 

It wasn’t a conscious decision to take very few photos over the last few days.  It has just been busy.  I can feel the pace picking up and the weight of the coming holiday pressing down as each day passes.  Since mom’s ability to cook succumbed to dementia, I have managed a lot of our family traditions and shopping for both sides of the family but my Dad always pitched in and set the tone. In so many ways - he was Christmas for our family.  I find myself avoiding tasks, including blogging the photo project as a way to avoid the void that is palpable as the holiday approaches.  

But mostly - I have been busy celebrating 32 brand new JayPAs.  How lucky to shepherd brilliant individuals from 
undergrad to professionals.  It is always one of my favorite days of the year.  

Perhaps one of my favorite memories from this graduation was to be included on a beautiful Hawaiian tradition.  This graduate’s Hawaiian relatives not only decorated her beautifully in real flower leis but also provided some for her to give to others.  I was a lucky recipient which made the day extra special.  

This class of students promises to be some of the best PAs in the country and I can’t wait to watch them soar.  

Today - I spent the day in front of a computer trying to get some forward momentum on Christmas shopping before everything I want to purchase says - “may not arrive in time for Christmas”. 
But K was busy!  She was having a banner day of basketball.  She contributed with points, steals, blocks and rebounds.  The team effort was enough for a 1st place win in her division this weekend.  

Now - E has just returned home from work and went to get a package from the mail.  As I sit to wait for time to pick up Big B from work - E opened her package to see if the perfume she bought really is different on different people.  


Rich is laughing at our very scientific process by which we determined it does indeed smell very different on the two of us which is also different than what it smells like in the bottle.  

Here is a photo I received from Big B. 
E has been finding and photographing hearts found randomly for awhile.  But since Dad has passed - we have been sending them to each other.  It has proven to be a way to feel close to Dad which is why I was so thrilled when B sent his photo of a heart shaped Mike and Ike.  And today, K sent a photo from Rich’s phone of a heart on a wall.   Can’t say I hate the idea of a tradition of sending hearts and love between all of us and teaching the kids to be on the lookout for the hearts of the world.  

The photo below is from our Florida trip in October that should have been in February and with Mom and Dad.  You will never convince me God or Dad didn’t put that heart in the sky just for us on that first night of vacation and we all noticed.  It was a gift that brought peace to an otherwise replacement trip for the one we really wanted.  

Tomorrow, I will work to be more intentional with my photos and my stories for the day.  But for now - I need to go get Big B (since he refuses to learn to drive - help!). 

No comments: