Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Showing up - DPP 2023 Days 11-12


Above you see the little brother who wasn’t excited to attend the winter concert of his sister.  Through the orchestras and bands, he played on his phone (and grumbled) - but when his sister came out - unprompted, he sat up and paid attention.  In these moments, much more than the ones where they fight, I can see that they will show up for each other and that makes my heart content.  I pray that my kids find life long family and friendship in one another.  That in showing up for each other over the course of their lives that they ultimately become the soft place to land for each other when life gets hard.  (Speaking of hard, despite arriving early, we sat on the floor - apparently not early enough). 

To back up - Monday (yesterday) was busy with testing at work. After testing, I stood in my office, knowing I had a ton to do and emails to respond to but also knowing K would have a performance at a retirement community that if I left then, I could make it.  It would have been easier to sit down and get to work.  But I went, which was every bit worth the hustle and drive to see the adorable 15 minute show.   The big grin from little lady when she caught sight of me made it all worth it. She would have been fine without me there but showing up made it much more special for her (and me too!).  Plus I got to see my sweet friend Jessica which is always great.



Speaking of Jess, she sent me this photo of K reading the comics and saying - this is my mom every day!  




I couldn’t help but laugh and agree!  Mondays after school, K goes with Jess and her daughter.  Our girls are good buddies and they attend dance together.  This weekly touch point has built for K an entire second family of people who show up for  her (and all my kiddos) with love and guidance and support.  This is a strength of this family and I am grateful every day they are in my life and the life of my kids.  As our society moves away from the village raising the child, these types of relationships illustrate just why that is such a loss.   

Speaking of working as a village to raise kids - it happens at the student level too - they just aren’t kids.  Our students are in a week of never ending exams and they near their Christmas break.  So we had a potluck today as a chance to destress for a meal.   When we arrived, we found the students wearing these sweaters - it is their village of professors who show up to support them to excellence.  My face sits on their left shoulder - among other places.   It was a hysterical sight.  


When I arrived home, it was a rat race to get ready for the concert and I was frustrated because I had planned to pick up Mom.  Time wasn’t our friend and we couldn’t get to her and get to the concert on time.   But quickly I learned that God was helping us out because we wouldn’t have had anywhere for her to sit so it was lucky we didn’t make it work.   Here is our view of the adorable concert from our standing room only place in the world.  



When the concert was done - a visit to Omom and some dinner were all that was left to do.   Since we undoubtedly disappointed her by not picking her up, K showed up to snuggle up and watch the video with her and both kids got a little love.  She was thrilled to see us and cuddle with the kids.   We got her all tucked in and left her smiling and happy.  



Today was a good reminder of what it means to show up for people.  In the busy state of my current life, I miss opportunities to do this far too often and I have been the benefactor of those who do it well - all too many times in the last few years.  I wonder if it might be one of the most important things we do in this life and the rest of life is just a distraction from it. With that framework - maybe the decision to show up even when it is hard might get easier for me.  



No comments: