Friday, December 1, 2023

Unexpectedly Learning - DPP 2023 - Day 1


Today marks the beginning of the the December Photo Project 2023.  Interestingly, the group that I used to post to for this event, no longer exists.  I find myself waffling on whether to tackle the project again this year or to let it lapse as the group has.  Sometimes I think I won't have anything worth sharing as I walk through the grief the last few years have brought.  But this blog does help me highlight the joy that is found in the midst of the hard and it is so nice to see the stories of our family, what we were up to, and who are children were in those snapshots in time.  So I will attempt it again. . .

Today's photo of the day is Samson.  I have been coming to Estes Park, Colorado for my whole life.  This his statue is prominent and known to most regular visitors to Estes.  He stands regally in front of the American Legion and is bugle calling to anyone heading down Highway 7.   I never knew his name until today.  

Since September, I have been trying to find a long weekend to come to Colorado to check up on the final details of the 2 year long construction project.  This wouldn't normally be my job but I find myself unexpectedly learning how to manage these details after the passing of my father last winter.  It makes the trip bittersweet which is why, when I asked my lifelong friend LeAnna to join me, her yes was a definite example of joy in the midst of hard.  

Today, we found ourselves unexpectedly learning about Samson in an art gallery where we saw a photo of him sitting beautifully in a snow covered forest.  They had his story on a simple 8.5x11 sheet of white paper.  It told us of the statue above so we went to find him and take some pictures with him.  He has a law in Colorado named after him and you can google it if you would like to know more.  The point is, we found so much fun and levity in chasing after a story that I had driven by for so many years without knowing anything about it.  


 Judging by Samson's smile, I think he is happy to know us as well.  

Speckled in the time needed at the cabin, LeAnna and I have been finding adventures in photography in the park, finding new places to eat, and searching for the perfect artwork for the bottom of the stairwell.  Today, we found Bird and Jim's for lunch.  We loved it and we recommend it to anyone.  We loved the interior design and the food was tasty and perfectly cooked.  I snapped a picture of just one wall because it was so cute.  


We will see how this year goes but I hope that this photo project and the time it takes brings as many fun times and stories that I enjoy going back and reading every year.  Tomorrow - we believe that Samson's portrait will be coming to the cabin to a place of honor.  Come back to learn more about Samson and see his portrait tomorrow.   

2 comments:

An Old Friend from the Neighborhood said...

I LOVE hearing of your adventures, your learning moments, your joy amidst sadness and busy-ness and worry. Love to you and yours. You are such a strong light in the world. Thanks for letting me be part of the group that benefits from your pics and musings.

Kenneth Nash Jr. said...

This always brings me so much joy! Thank you for sharing your stories throughout the month....I look forward to each and every post, old friend.

Love from the Carolinas!
Ken