Thursday, December 14, 2017

Ketchup

Day 11 -

I was intentional about not taking many photos on this day.  In fact, only one.  I was growing weary and tired.  That level of overwhelm was reaching peak levels so I made the conscious decision to not worry about this project.  I love this project.  It helps me see clearly at the end of the day.  But most of all, I love to go back and read it all before the project begins again the following year.  I am always amazed at all the stories that I have forgotten even within a year's time.  But I am also all about letting myself off the hook.  Being a big family, the logistics of the day to day is busy and crazy and wonderful.  It takes energy to remember it all and get to everything.  And when this blog starts raising my blood pressure, it takes a back seat.  Sleep won on Monday and my stress and blood pressure are back to normal.  :)

The walking meeting.
How great is it to work at an institution that encourages wellness and life balance.  That encourages reflection and personal growth.  So today, we took our admissions process discussion to the track.  Before we knew it, we had 45 minutes of activity under our belts which beats sitting at the conference room table for another hour.  Plus we came up with some great ideas, solved a few problems, and had many a laugh.  We like to laugh. .. .  a lot.

Day 12

I was able to tackle some of the Christmas prep the night before and was feeling more in control.  However, none of the Hoffmans had their best day today and that included me.  I found myself apologizing to the kiddos the next morning because sometimes when you are the mom, you have to practice what you preach.  Some days, I feel the need to write about the struggle of the day but today isn't that day.  Today I choose to focus on the great parts about today.  I choose to recognize that the good and the bad stress that comes with this time of year takes its toll on all of us.  It makes little ones wigglier, distracted, tired, and those listening ears are totally on the fritz at times.  It makes us big ones short, impatient, tired, and frustrated at times.  When you can see it in yourself, it makes it easier to forgive it in others.  We could use more of that in this age of social media and the court of public opinion that never rests.  If we always assumed positive intent and allowed for imperfection- always - in children, in others, and in ourselves - man, life would be way less stressful.  I think I remember something about stones and sins and I am pretty sure I need to be putting my rocks down.

Tonight was the first time our piano teacher did a Christmas concert and I loved it.  It was festive and fun.

Our piano teacher is the best.  She manages to be fun and kind but nudge the kiddos each week to be better.  They all adore her and look forward to seeing her each week.  It is a RARE occasion that we get a "can I skip piano tonight?"  That is saying something because we get that about something with each kiddo each week.  Here she is giving some last minute encouragement to Lil B for his first recital.

We do not push our kids to practice and maybe we should.  We do place it in the list of responsibilities that must be completed before they move on with their day.  We encourage it.  We remind them.  But we don't force it.  Mostly because I want them to enjoy it now and forever.  I do know that they would be much further along in their playing if they were more disciplined in their practicing.  But these recitals help to force their hands and gets them to sit down, practice and perfect (or attempt to). They all progress at different rates and speeds.  Tonight, they made Rich and me so proud.  Their songs were pretty rough this last week and I was worried we were just going to have a hard life lesson of why you prepare.  I was prepared to let them learn that lesson the hard way and support them through it but I didn't have to.  They usually practice after school while Rich and I are still working.  Those three are INCREDIBLE at doing their responsibilities, homework, and spelling in their time after school.  And it was clear, the up'd their piano practice game.  They did a great job.  It came together and they did it.

A pre-show pep-talk from their Pawee whom they hadn't seen in ages.  They were so happy he came.











Here she is making sure her Uncle Tev is behaving back there.  After a day of school, she could hardly stand to sit through this performance which is unusual for her.
B improved the most over the last week.  That kid is good under pressure.  Knocks it out.

The best part of the night was when B was going on stage and in an effort to keep his mother from taking his picture he announced, "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY!"  It got a chuckle from the audience but the joke was on him because I didn't need my flash. Hee hee.  He also, between songs, took the book he was finished with, looked right, looked left, and then unceremoniously tossed it on the floor.  I shook my head at him but couldn't help but laugh.


 Lil b handled his performance like a pro.  He even knew to bow.  He played his two songs confidently and well.  This kid is Mr. Happy and Mr. Positive.  And he attacked this with the same joy he does almost everything he does (except maybe spelling tests.  He hates those.)
E's love for piano playing has absolutely exploded in the last year.  Both because her skill level is getting high enough that she can push herself to learn songs that she wants to learn and because she has a good friend who is phenomenal and an encourager.
I think we all know this is everyone's favorite part of the recital. 

Lil B checking out the sweet little gift from his teacher.
Interestingly, E asked me this morning (of Day 13) if I did the blog and I said that I decided to catch up on some much needed sleep instead.  I told her I was feeling crabby and just wanted to end my day.  She replied, "you needed to do your blog so you could see the good in the hard day."   She is a wise one and she listens.  At times a bit nosy about it but she listens and retains. :)  But here I am at the end of Day 13, blogging about day 12 and all I can remember is goodness and love.  Looks like she was right.

Day 13 -

Today was not as planned.  Rich had to be up in the middle of the night to do work with people overseas so I was on for all of the morning routine.  Both E and B had to be at school early so we all got up and ready so we could just drop them off together.  We were ready to leave when E came up and wasn't feeling well.  She has shown dependability and responsibility this year which was an improvement from last year.  I had no reason to doubt her.  So she was allowed to make the decision of whether she felt badly enough to miss school and she said yes.  So I sent her back to bed with the intention of waking her in a couple of hours and try to get her to school.  No fever and no vomiting means we at least attempt to get to school at some point of the day.  When I returned later to check on her, she was warm to touch and sleeping hard.  So a day of rest was decided as the best course of action.  I am grateful for both the option of a sick day and the option of a work from home day when kiddos get ill.  It gives some of that ever elusive balance to the working mom.   Normally, E would have been fine left with her Dad and I would have been off to work but I wasn't feeling 100% either and Rich was having a crazy busy day.  I am fairly certain that phone didn't leave his ear today.

Sick.
And I love the side-eye I am getting.  She is not pleased with my photojournalism.

Always good to refocus once in awhile this time of year.

We adopted a family for the first time this year.  It has been an absolute joy and I would encourage anyone to do the same.  It has a personal touch which is a bit uncomfortable but incredibly rewarding.  Out of comfort zone things are often the most important.  Tonight we were all wrapping while Christmas movies played. A fun family service project, right?  That turned out to be a mistake.  The kids watched the movie while Rich and I wrapped.  But it is done and now we get to deliver it all!
He wanted me to come chat after K went to bed.  I didn't get there in time.
But when I saw this, my heart swelled.  Teddy doesn't sleep with the kids ever.
It makes me wonder what B wanted to talk about and if Teddy sensed he just needed someone to be with him.
Teddy is still up there which is unusual because he is ALWAYS by my feet.  But tonight, he is staying close to B.
 I end today feeling really blessed in the last few days and ready to tackle tomorrow.  Saying prayers for healthy kiddos and a healthy mom.

No comments: