Monday, December 4, 2017

Monday

Not many pictures taken today.  Mondays are crazy busy.  The three bigs have piano and the littlest has "Nastics".  We usually have just enough time at home to make sure homework was done after school and then we are off.  We had a sit down recently with our kiddos about where we are with activities.  They all love to do lots of things and we feel fortunate to be able to give the access to it most of the time.  We set some priorities and agreed it was time to let a couple things go.  We value meals together, time to play with neighborhood friends, and unstructured time at home too much to keep the current pace.

After going two different directions, we reconvened for a quick dinner together at Culver's.  A family favorite indulgence.   We have been avoiding eating out and fast food so the kiddos were particularly excited.  So as we waited for our food, this is what our table looked like:

E is finishing up her homework for the day, K is coloring like it is her job, and Lil B is decorating a star for the Culver's tree.  Rich was up getting food and I was taking the picture.  That leaves one Hoffman unaccounted for.  Well, he had other plans.  

Day 4 DPP submission
Sometimes, you just gotta move.  We do work to teach our children to sit nicely at the dinner table, mind their manners, and have good restaurant behavior.  Most days they do it well.  Today, B looked at me with his big eyes and says, "Mom, I need to move.  I had my writing test today, then homework, and then piano.  I cannot sit any more today.  Please can I walk around the restaurant"   I looked around Culver's and saw that we only had one other patron on the opposite side of the restaurant, so I gave him some boundaries and turned him loose.  This is the full body movement of a happy kid that has been allowed to just be free.  Exception with boundaries; win, win.

That is it for pictures today but I do have a story that Rich insists that I share on here.  If you know Rich well, you will likely hear his laugh in your head at the exact moment it began to reach full belly laugh.  
Lil B (very seriously) - Mom, my friend told an inappropriate joke at school today.  Do you want me to tell it?
Mom - If it is inappropriate for school, it is likely it isn't appropriate for our dinner table or your little sister.  Use your best judgement.  
Rich and E (Eagerly) - What was the joke?
Lil B - Well she told the joke, "Why does the toilet paper cross the road?  To get to the crack."  Don't worry, none of us laughed.
Big B (confused and with sass) - Why?  Did you guys not get it?
*laughter around the table*
Lil B - No, I got it.  (Very seriously as if he was holding court)  See, if you look, your bottom has a crack on the back of it.  It is how the poop gets out.  
It was at this point I /really/ wanted to get the conversation back to a bit more appropriate for while we were eating. . . but this crass anatomy lesson from our 7 year old was absolutely more than my inner 12 year old could handle.  Plus, my husband was guffawing in that way that is completely infectious.  We all had a big laugh, even K, who had no idea what was going on.  She heard the word poop which, at four, is all you need to think something is hilarious.  I guess tonight, coloring, jumping through the aisles, and bathroom humor were good for the soul.  We all are going to bed tonight feeling like it was a pretty great Monday.



No comments: