Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Not as planned...

Flexibility is a necessary trait.  One I have had to learn and one that I have not mastered yet.  I would probably rank myself a novice most of the time.  I am a planner to a fault.  So when things don't go according to plan, I tend to get frustrated.  We are doing a service project at work that helps foster children and I am eager to help out.  I always am but charities that help kiddos are this peds PA's favorite.  I had planned a trip to Target to buy some of the things we need to check off our list of items.  I got out of the office late because there is always that one more thing I want to finish before I go (aka - this was ALL my fault - my choice, my consequence).   So this was my view on my way home.  Needless to say, the 20-30 minute commute took closer to an hour and it was time to hit the taxi driver part of my day only 5 minutes after arriving home. 

DPP Day 5
A whole lotta brake lights, a whole lotta headlights, and a beautiful sunset in the distance.  I chose to focus on the beautiful sunset while it lasted.   And yes, I always leave that much space between me and the person in front of me.  I find it WAY less stressful to allow space, make room for people needing to switch lanes, and give me plenty of time to know that someone is going to stop.  I believe that if everyone would do more of this, we would do less of the above.  I decided long ago to let that inner elementary school kid who indignantly holds their place in line go.  The only time I don't let someone in is if I didn't notice that they needed in and then I just feel terrible about it.  Yep, I am THAT person. 

Today the rat race won.  This was the only picture I got taken tonight.  And I didn't get to Target.  Today had many more missed opportunities than just Target; shoving leftover pizza in passing for dinner, rushing through bedtime routine without stories or much conversation, and a mom and dad that are tired and crabby.  We did get some math tutoring done, some basketball shuttling for two kids, all four kiddos fed (even if it wasn't the best dinner), and off to bed.  Tomorrow, I will have to be more intentional in my photography and my time with family.   Tomorrow, we will find our together moments and our rhythm again.  I am grateful for the shorter post and less pictures as they equal a much needed earlier bedtime.  There it is, the silver lining.   


No comments: