Sunday, December 3, 2017

Trimming the Tree

It was a wonderful day today.  We were able to slow down and enjoy the day with only one evening basketball game on the calendar.  Rich and I have something we call "brown chair time" which is when we are able to sit down together in our oversize brown chair, chat, drink coffee, and just be.  The children are welcome to come snuggle and be part of our time but they know that it isn't the time to begin with the "can I's" and the "will yous".  It was a brown chair time type of day.  Football was watched, the Christmas tree was decorated, the beginning of cookie baking, and play time with friends.  The sibling rivalry was at an all time low and we were just allowed a day to enjoy one another.  Plus, we had visits from Uncle Tev and Grandma which we always love.

Day 3 DPP2017 Post
 Trimming the tree is always one of my favorite events.  Unpacking the boxes of ornaments is like opening presents for the kids (and us too!).  They stand eager to see what is wrapped up in the tissue paper and find out if it is "their" ornament.  We have very generous grandparents that provide ornaments to the kiddos each year.  So they have a growing pile of memories that come with each ornament.  Our tree is not coordinated in color or decorated in a fancy way.  There is no garland or ribbons.  It is a chaotic and often unbalanced collection of our ornament memories.  And we wouldn't have it any other way.  Let's face it - chaotic and unbalanced fits like a glove most of the time.  We can all be found looking about the tree at different ornaments with smiles on our faces.  Here are a few pictures from the tree trimming.
Showing off and telling his story about this ornament.

Mr. Fixit!   There is always a casualty or two.  But we don't sweat it, we have the best fix it guy around and the cracks and glue add to the memories.   We get a little sad when one is beyond repair but there isn't an ornament on that tree that is more important than the little people putting them up there.  I love that the whole family does this together.  Everyone drops out at the point when they are done and we just roll with it.  Big b is almost always the first to go.  E usually is the finisher but not this year.  K took the crown.  She is still working on that tree, fussing and adjusting.  Her little world lit up with that tree.  The girl LOVES decorating for Christmas.  Oh to be four again.





I just love his joyful expression here.  He found an ornament that brought out some serious joy. 



E is always a good helper with K.  And Dad is always in charge of the tippy top.  He even got our angel up this year.  She is a little crooked up there because the tree comes right up to the ceiling but she is up there!  First time, she has been out since we got this tree. 
K is slowly learning the story of Jesus.  I think four year olds are programmed to just know all about Santa.  Without intentional teaching the commercial easily overcomes the meaningful.  It is fun that Rich and I no longer teach alone.  Siblings help to steer the heart toward giving rather than receiving, teach the story with the toy nativity, and spend time talking about why we celebrate in the first place.



I do have to take a minute to brag about my eldest, a mom prerogative, in my opinion.  Part (maybe even most) of the reason that I received a new camera last year was because she was developing an interest in photography and appeared to have an eye for it.  She doesn't get her camera out much as she is busy with basketball, all things Harry Potter, friends, and being a delightful 13 year old.   But when she does, I am always incredibly impressed.  I wish I could post all of the pictures she took today on here.  But I know she is planning on some of them for potential Christmas presents so I will have to settle for just a couple ones that I hope are safe. 
There are stages of middle school that are just a challenge and it is through those challenges that she will build skills that will last her a lifetime.  Those times are still not fun.  She has the strength of a lion so I know she can handle anything but even the strongest of us need a place to retreat.  So when she is facing her hard, I am so happy to know that she has her art and her photography to put her heart into.  I am a big fan of her and her photography.  Here is just a few of her shots:  (The last one is WAY better than the one I tried to get.  She is going to outgrow me and out photo shoot me all in one year, the little stinker.)




I think you can see from both of our pictures, it was a wonderful day decorated in memories.

No comments: