Monday, December 16, 2019

DPP2019 Day 16 - Shift

I have a new friend from work whom I enjoy very much.  I think it is her matter of fact and down to earth nature. I know it is because she is real.  Some of her sayings that stick with you even after only knowing her a short while are things like, “Shift and make it work.” Or “LTSG” (let that stuff go).  She does not fluster easily and I love that about her.  Today, I heard her in my head as my plan for the day melted before my eyes under the heat of a fever.   With Rich working from home, I am unlikely to stay home with sick kiddos but he had appointments and calls that would keep me home for the morning.  It didn’t take long to realize, this was a day that just needed mom at home.  Lil b woke up cooking.  After his ibuprofen, he was sitting around 101.  His throat was wicked sore and he was miserable.  I took him in to be checked for strep, which was positive.   As we waited for the medicine, he leaned against the counter while I paid, then melted to the floor, and then started to fall asleep - in the time it took me to pay.




With a new semester looming just on the other side of the holidays - there were pressing things at work that needed my attention.  Plus we had planned a holiday reception for all the people on campus that helped us launch a successful first semester.   As we watched the minutes tic by at Quick Care, my hope of getting in for the afternoon started to fade.  Lil b had a great one liner as he sat with his eyes closed, “Mom, for something called Quick Care, they are not very quick.”    We decided to walk over to Starbucks for a distraction from the waiting and to get mom some coffee.   He asked for a snowman cake pop.  A good sign!  Turned out, that cake pop lasted until the next day.  This cake pop should be all the explanation you need to realize the level of misery.   Because not only did b pass on the chance to eat a sweet, he was so miserable, not a single sibling even asked if they could have it instead.

What I believe is one of the great gifts of being ill or having someone you love be under the weather, it shifts into sharp focus the things that are most important.   It displays what can wait, what can be done in the quiet moments of a sick day, and when mom snuggles are just gonna be the only snuggles that do the trick.   The other great gift is that you have a new appreciation for wellness.   I am grateful for my village.  Grateful for awesome coworkers.   Grateful to carpools and care for my other kiddos.  Grateful for antibiotics.  :)


Lil b also had to miss his Christmas recital.  E played in the recital.   She hasn’t been as committed to piano these last few years.  I am grateful for her patient and kind teacher.  I struggle with letting her quit knowing she will regret it or making her continue when she doesn’t put in the time needed to improve.  Maybe the Spring will be better for practicing for all.  B took a break from piano to spend some extra time on school which is needed for now.   He hopes to return soon.  K cannot wait to begin.

The last photo I took was of two stow aways that made their way into our bed while Rich and I got ready for work.  I just felt like the picture said Monday morning pretty clearly.

Mornings are hard.

Falling asleep writing so I will end here for today.

No comments: