Wednesday, December 4, 2019

DPP2019 Day 4 - Defense

Today’s submission will be the following - titled Defense.  There will be a series below to follow up this photo.



My current view is watching my awesome brother tutoring E in Geometry.  Thank goodness for him because I just hear things like SOHCAHTOA and think - hmmmmm where have I heard that before?!?  Sometimes people ask me how I work full time and keep up with four kids.  Simple.  I have help and a flexible job.   Lots and lots of help.  I feel like this blog has already given you insight into that.   A mom in law who helps with babysitting, laundry, and dishes, a brother/uncle that tutors in all subjects, an Omom and Pawee that uber kids, babysit, and support their activities and vacations!   Currently, Kevin is providing exceptional advice and it keeps getting ignored.   He gives it again.  It gets ignored again.   I am typing here to avoid the urge to say - just listen and learn!!  She is no different than so many of us.  Why do we cling to dysfunctional strategies when we have been shown better?   We all do it.  We get defensive when someone challenges our ways when, if we were being honest, we know another way is better.  For me - it is procrastination - especially the things that are for me or tasks I don’t like doing (like laundry. 😊).  Here’s hoping E is smarter than many of us and takes the sage wisdom from her uncle to slow down, write it all out, and check your work.   She has the math - smart cookie that she is - she just has to avoid those silly mistakes.

Basketball is a common activity around this household.  Likely tomorrow’s post will include some basketball photos as it will be E’s first high school game.   Today K had her practice.  First, she has a great coach.  She is effectively teaching spacing and passing to 6 year olds.   Impressive.   K loves it and takes it seriously.  This series started with the defense above, a blocked pass led to a steal, then some low dribbling (her Pawee taught her that), and a big jump shot for the bucket.  Wish I would have caught the big grin that stood for awhile despite the game continuing on around her.  There is something so cute about basketball at this age - no matter how far from real basketball it is.




The day started today with me grabbing a picture of E and her dad teasing each other before she left for school.  They share a sense of humor so this banter can be quite funny.  When I looked at the picture I took, I started giggling because I knew that my 6 foot tall hubby was not going to be pleased with this image.  Makes you want to see it more, doesn’t it? Those who follow my social media know that for several years, E has been coming to stand back to back to her Dad to see if she was taller yet. Now talking about defensive - you should know that Rich has analyzed this every which way.  And he wants to assure you that the carpet she is standing on is several inches thick (it is not), that she is wearing shoes (so is he), she is standing closer to the camera so it is an optical illusion (he is really reaching) and that he wasn’t standing up straight (yes he is).    Maybe another day we will check with no shoes and the yard stick.  But for today and for posterity on this blog, she has this picture to declare she is taller because she unapologetically ignores all his excuses.

Now it is time for me to finish up the baking that will keep me up half the night for Lil B’s culture project.   Happy he wanted something authentic to our family but would have really loved a store bought option.  The things we do for our kids in the name of a school project.   Also - I procrastinated this sucker too.   So it is my own fault I have to stay up late for this.  Let me hear from you ... what is the dysfunctional strategy you keep holding on to?



No comments: