Friday, December 9, 2022

The Unexpected Guests - DPP 2022 Day 9

Sitting at home on a Friday night, working later than I wanted to be while Rich, Lil b and K went to a Christmas party at the law firm where Rich does a lot of work, I got a call from my nephew asking if I was home.  Once you have kids and a husband who is way more fun than you are, you are used to people not wanting to stop by just to see you - so naturally, my response was, "Well I am, but I am the only one."  He reported that they were out and about and wanted to know if they could stop by.  Of course I said yes though still surprised that just I would do.  I suppose my pediatrics piece of my background could prove helpful now and again.  My nephew and his wife have a new baby - so their visits are extra exciting these days!  I can't help but be reminded of my late brother's impromptu calls and visits to see if I was home.  Both of my nephews do the call and stop by thing that Brian did.   I can't help but love the fact that it makes me feel like I still have that piece of him here on earth.   

The photo above is what always happens once I am not the only one home.  I love the sweet faces of all three girls from the light of the tree.  The baby is very popular and gets passed around.  There is generalized whining and gnashing of teeth when one feels their turn wasn't long enough.  I was hoping while I was the only one home I would get some good snuggle time but unfortunately, she was in a Daddy's girl frame of mind.  I will keep working on her to get into a perpetual great auntie state of mind.   One of my favorite stories around Baby BJR coming into this world was when my nephew and his wife told my parents.  I was there caring for my mom and dad at the time.  My Dad's response was so fantastic.  Kevin said, "You are going to be a great grandpa!"  Dad said, "Well, I have always been great."  Classic.  Got a good laugh from all of us, even mom.  I am grateful every day that both Mom and Dad get to see and spend time with Baby BJR because we feel the void of her grandpa.  He would have loved this time of year with her.  He was big on traditions and would have loved sharing them with her.  So we will do it for him.  Knowing how important it was to him, we will be sure, when she is big enough, teach her how to make sure to use plenty of frosting and not to be afraid to create double decker cookies.  Or how to try and tuck away a package so you can get to be the last person to open up a package.  Or how to cry package foul if there happened to be more than one thing wrapped in one package.  Or how to write witty to/froms instead of just your every day ones.  While I wish he could do it, it will be such a blessing to be a part of it.

Daddy's girl and her future babysitter are changing diapers.  She was unamused because she wanted some dinner!

Don't worry, baby BJR - Mama is on her way!

Patsy is not known for her bravery.  Apparently, a crying baby is disconcerting enough to snuggle with Rich.  This is highly photo worthy because the dogs typically ignore Rich's existence.  Lil b being far too consumed with stupid screens to be bothered to engaged in the fight for Baby B's attention.  


By the end of the evening, Kevin had come to visit too - though I suspect Baby B was his main motivator.  My heart was full with my full house.  I pray that all the kids and family will fill my house any night of the week. Only Mom, Dad, and Big B missed it.  They are still out checking on the updates to the cabin.  You can see Big B was doing the tough work of making sure the game machine still works. . . .clearly, it does.  After a flood from a broken radiant heat pipe - we have major renovations going on.  In the midst of it, Dad decided to put together a main floor big bedroom with an ensuite for my mom so she wouldn't have to do the steep stairs anymore.   These repairs began last January - we are ready to hit completion soon.  
The bed will face this window - so gorgeous.   We have had so many wonderful family memories in Colorado.  We have been going to a cabin out there for as long as I can remember but we missed this last summer due to construction.  Colorado is a family traditon for sure and I am so eager to get back out there.  For as tonight showed, time with family, expected or unexpected, is the best.  

No comments: